Oatmeal is one of the best meals for breakfast. It is a low
glycemic food which means that it is a slow-burning carbohydrate, and provides
steady energy throughout the morning.
There are several types of oats to choose from and each is
available at Whole Foods. The best are steel-cut oats, or you can choose coarse,
oats. Do not buy instant oats because they have been refined and processed
and are high glycemic.
The easiest way to prepare the oatmeal is to cook it in a double boiler
the night before:
1. For each serving add 1/4 cup oats
to one cup water and add a pinch of sea salt.
2. Put the measured water in the top boiler, and add water
to the bottom boiler.
3. Bring both to a boil on separate burners.
4. Add the oats to the top boiler and bring back to the
boil for a few seconds.
5. Put the top boiler on the bottom boiler with the lid
on and let sit overnight.
The oats can also be cooked in an ordinary saucepan:
1. Put water, oats, and salt in a saucepan
and bring to a boil.
2. Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring frequently because
oats will easily burn.
Other articles concerning diet: